Thursday 23 November 2017

French fancy

I must confess to a bit of a Mumsnet habit, when I'm meant to be working it is my procrastination destination of choice. Recently I've been following a fabulous thread about dressing like a Parisienne. I love the idea but don't have the body, the bone structure or the iron will to stick to fags and black coffee instead of fromage and vin rouge.

Over the last couple of days I disappeared down a few You Tube rabbit holes. Some willowy french filles told me exactly how to develop a wardrobe of classic, elegant but effortless outfits. Stick to neutrals, choose quality, don't over-accessorise, get a great coat... et voila you're Emmanuelle Alt. Well, that is all great in theory and I love the look but I don't seem to have the je ne sais quois to carry it off. But what I do have is red lippy, which was also on the list. So I thought I'd bung that on and it would be a good start.

Day one and I wore jeans and a black polo-neck. Groundbreaking stuff I know! I also wore a coat that I first had in the last century. I bought it back in the days when M&S still used to sell some amazing stuff at a reasonable price. I wore it into the ground, chucked it on the floor and generally treated it badly and it fell apart. I've mourned its buttery softness for years and this season I decided to hunt one out on Ebay. Some lovely seller had looked after hers much, much better than me and for £25 the coat is mine all mine again.

When I wore it today two separate people stopped me on the street and asked where it was from. That NEVER happens. Was it the coat, or am I giving off mysterious fashion blogger vibes?!



Leather Coat- Vintage M&S (similar on Ebay)
Jeans- Gap girlfriends
Bag: J-Crew (old, 
Faux fur scarf: Helen Moore, mine was from a dress agent but it's still available here



        Boots-Carvela, this season and super-comfortable, reduced to £135 on a Black Friday deal







Jumper-Silk and cotton from Jigsaw. Mine is ancient but they still do them, they're expensive at £90 (and sadly Jigsaw don't seem to do any codes/ seasonal offers) but so soft and last forever.

                               



No comments:

Post a Comment